25-33% of the LGBTQ community people have experienced partner abuse in their lifetime
Abuse is never mutual – One person using power and control over another person!
How LGBTQ domestic violence is different:
- LGBTQ communities do not identify partner abuse as a community issue increases isolation for survivors
- Leaving their partner may mean losing their community
- Increased self-blame
- Others may blame survivor’s sexual or gender identity for the abuse
- Few role models for relationships
- May not recognize abuse
- Cannot turn to friends, family, etc for support
- Greater likelihood of no arrest, wrongful arrest or dual especially in same sex relationships.
- Fewer resources
- Lack of screening
- Not to air dirty laundry